Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Of tablesaws and welding magnets

In the latest issue of Australian Woodsmith (#56) there is a tip about using
    welding magnets as stop blocks for cross cutting on the tablesaw.

I thought this was a rather clever use of non-woodworking gadgets, so I tried
    it out.

Pic 1 shows the setup shown in Woodsmith

Pic 2 shows an adaptation using the existing fence

Pic 3 shows the same idea applied to making zero clearance inserts, using the
    welding clamps to hold down the insert for cutting the saw blade slot. On my
    saw the 10" blade sits higher than the bottom of the insert, so I use 1 blade
    from the 8" dado set first

Pic 4 shows the dado blades in-situ in one of the zero clearance inserts. Note
    the "squigly" bit at the front, the double sided tape slipped! Good enough for
    one of the dado inserts!

Pic 5 shows the arbor lock on my tablesaw, a really good feature, particularly when setting up the dado blades!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Pic 1 shows an auxiliary fence made with the new dado setup. Setup here for
    rebate cutting.

Pic 2 shows a tenoning jig, again made using the dado set

Pic3 & 4 show a zero clearance insert for the standard 10" blade

Gday Fred

Interesting articles, thanks for sharing
    Have a good one
    Keith

So why is your mobile phone stuck to the fence?

Denn

Quote Originally Posted by dennford View Post
    So why is your mobile phone stuck to the fence?

Denn
    Wrong on both counts, it is not a mobile phone and it is not stuck!

What you see as a mobile phone is the remote control for, among other things, my dust collector. It can control up to 8 devices, at the moment it only controls my 2 hp dusty and the shed radio/cd player. It is a radio wave device, which works much better than my previous Arlec infrared device, you don't have to point it anywhere near the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    Wrong on both counts, it is not a mobile phone and it is not stuck!

What you see as a mobile phone is the remote control for, among other things, my dust collector. It can control up to 8 devices, at the moment it only controls my 2 hp dusty and the shed radio/cd player. It is a radio wave device, which works much better than my previous Arlec infrared device, you don't have to point it anywhere near the receiver.
    And here was I thinking that youre mobile phone was missing a few keys!!

Thanks anyhow I wondered what it was.

Denn

A couple of questions.

1. How did you make the saw cut for the riving knife? I have a Powermatic PM2000 which is very similar to this Carbatec machine. I presume you flip the ZCI over and raise the blade. Correct?

2. Where did you get the radio remote for your dusty etc?

Quote Originally Posted by markharrison View Post
    A couple of questions.

1. How did you make the saw cut for the riving knife? I have a Powermatic PM2000 which is very similar to this Carbatec machine. I presume you flip the ZCI over and raise the blade. Correct?

2. Where did you get the radio remote for your dusty etc?
    1 Partly correct, yes I did flip the ZCI (don't you just love acronyms?) but I then put it on the router table with a 1/2" bit and routed it wider. This gives a bit of play for the riving knife when you undo the clamp. Having said that, I haven't tried it with just the saw cut, perhaps that would work as well. Next one I will probably try without the router stage, or at the very least step down to a 1/4" bit.

I am currently looking at making a few extra riving knives for use without the guard, also making a suspended overhead guard.

2 The radio remote comes from Rocky Electronics and has facility for switching 8 remotes. The receivers are rated at 1000W and a (very) kind forumite (thanks Noel) has upgraded a couple of receivers with a 10A relay etc to beef it up. Works like a charm.
    I have also taken the precaution to have the dusty on a 10A circuit and the tablesaw on a 15A circuit, but I have run both from a 10A circuit without problems.