Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default T-Nails for Fencing?

Hi folks,

Going to replace a fence along the side of the property shortly.
    Any cons to using a T-nailer to attach palings to rails (both wooden)?
    Do T-nails hold, and continue to hold over time, or are full head nails the only way to fly?
    How much wood could the woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck could chuck wood?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Dean,

When I replaced my fence I bought some 2" senco nails for my normal framing gun. Never tried the t-nails.

BTW Thanks again for the review on the Lumber Wizard got the big one for father's day.

Peter.

Dean,
    as far as I know you can't get hot dip gal in T-nails. Best bet is a coil nailer as you can get hot dip gal (as opposed to zinc plated) nails. Next best is a framing gun, but 50mm gal nails are more expensive than the 75s and they're a bit on the heavy side (gauge) and may tend to split more than a few palings (or blow out your rails).

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Check out a 1/2" stapler along with stainsteel staples. A little construction adhesive doesn't hurt either.

Hi hc !
    When some 1/2" x 2" staplers may do the job in soft wood, unless the fence in question is treated pine, the only other timber we use around here is hard wood, conceded usualy green, and that would preclude the use of construction glue. Not sure how a stapler would perform there.
    Fence contractors use coil guns and hot gal nails, you can rent a Duo-Fast KD665A and you will be laughing.
    Then again if you must use a T nailer who will ever know? The pailing will not come off just tomorrow....perhaps 10 years...20?
    “We often contradict an opinion for no other reason
    than that we do not like the tone in which it is expressed.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

With the heat and humidity in Brissy I doubt that zinc plated nails would even last 5 years in a fence.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

They don't last two years in a Jarrah fence in the West

Cheers
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

Im just looking for a good excuse to buy a T-nailer
    How much wood could the woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck could chuck wood?

From a fencing background, T-nails will be useless for longevity. Doubt you'd get gal t-nails as well.

Liquid nails to help hold fence pailings????? You've got to be joking right? Man, what do they teach you guys in the states....:eek: Argh, I guess stranger things have happened in the world of DIY....

The last fence I worked on was about 3km long, all t-pine 75x1800mm pailings...I cannot imagine dabbing liquid nails on EVERY pailing...... :eek: hahaha....And boy using stainless steel staples would have meant the fence would be worth more than the land!

I have been looking for a good excuse to buy a coil gun for month, how about I buy the Duo Fast coil gun, and you buy the T nailer, you can borrow my coil gun and I cna borrow your T nailer ... mm ... now I must find an excuse to use a T nailer.... Mick, what is a T nailer good for?

Friedrich Nietzsche

Fixing trim.
    Actually a lot of cabbies use t-nails in there construction. Leaves a less obvious hole..well to some people it does.

Shane

I don't know what you guys do down there, but there's nothing wrong with adding a little construction adhesive to a fence. I don't do it for a living but I have helped build a few for friends. Either Cedar or Pressure Treated lumber and a dab of construction adhesive before stapling. Haven't had a problem with any of them. Give it a try, might surprise you.

oh I never said there was anything wrong with it.................

Hc, I'm sure that a bit of glue before nailing is better than no glue, but for expedience sake, and fencing is notoriously slow because of all the nailing, adding one more task would make it too slow. So the choice is to use a nail that will last, and forget additional precautions.
    Also, most of our fences are green hardwood that shrinks after installing so badly that the gap between pailings goes from zero to 10mm and more. In this case no ammount of adhesive would resist such movement and in one year it is like it was never there. With treated pine, it may give some advantage. You say you make Cedar fences? :eek:
    Wow, would like to see that.
    How much does cedar cost around there, and what species do you call cedar? Is it 'Cedrella Tubiflora'? That "cedar" is the best for boat building.

Friedrich Nietzsche