Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Default Midge's Playroom

I have been a little reluctant to run off at the keyboard about my own setup (some may argue with that!), but it's been a long Saturday evening with nothing new to read, and the workshop layout thread is starting to get to me!

Here is the basic layout of the Playroom (although I still call it the shed, iit just can't be a workshop!!) which as I have said once or twice was designed as a Media Room/Home Theatre attached to the garage. The door between these two rooms is an obscure glass slider, which looks pretty flash, and does a good job of keeping down the noise when it needs to, but I sure hope that there is never a major TS kickback happening, because things could get really exciting if the door gets hit!!

Shed dimensions are 4m by 6m and the Garage is almost 7m square.

Over the coming weeks, I'll give a bit of a running commentary on the how and why regarding placement of machinery etc, but for now, let's say that the plan has been analysed to death, and each bit of gear (including vices and drill presses) can be positioned to feed at least 6m lengths if necessary, and while it would be possible to build an 18m mast inside (including the Study/Library/Studio whatever!!), a 10m could be done comfortably.

As far as costs go: EVERYTHING relating to the fitout has been scrounged, so while I've gone to a bit of trouble with an epoxy floor, and painted trusses, the cost of the fitout to date is zip (apart from machinery and consumables!).

And the million dollar question: Is anything finished???

Well I can get down to item 6 on the list before I can see work that needs doing!!!

Where to from here with this thread though??

Maybe more work next Saturday night!

cheers,

P

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thought I'd reply to my own post!

Here is a ceiling plan which will give some idea of what goes on in the trusses. (Haven't shown smoke detectors or security, but you can be assured it's all there!)

The storage in the roof space is simply formply spanning the trusses, and they ARE loaded fairly heavily.... DON'T attempt to store heavy loads without advice!

All the DC ducting is in 150 dia PVC, and is ALMOST ready to go. I only need to make a couple more 150 blast gates, connect the flex and turn it on...maybe Easter will see it happening!

Cheers,

P

I can't help myself, thought I'd summarise progress! Will make a good checklist anyway.

1. Office Desk/Drawing Board- finished new Board two years ago!
    2. Filing Cabinet/Fax Machine - bought ones!
    3. Library/Bookshelves - the Famous Ikea specials... a long term project to replace.
    4. Plan Filing Cabinet - want to get rid of it, but professional liability issues prevents!
    5. House Switch Board - works well, but nothing to do with me!
    6. Finishing Bench - see Bench Questions thread, needs jack.
    7. Mini Lathe - bench needs top fixed to frame, extension bed to be bolted to lathe, tool board above it to be completed.
    8. Shop Vac - needs to be emptied!
    9. Fire Extinguisher - service one year overdue!
    10. Band Saw - ready for upper dust collection gizmo, and maybe a riser in the futre.
    11. Bench/Sander/Drill Press - currently have half a "Derek jig" built, bench top needs fixing to base.
    Cupboards Over - Done!
    12. Downdraft Table/Mitre Saw - Nearly ready to connect, but Mitre Saw stand and fence needs work.
    13. Bench/Grinder - need to fix bench to cupboards after finishing downdraft table.
    Cupboards Over- Done!
    14. Table Saw - Need to make new guard for DC connection, and an outfeed table.
    15. Workmate - complete renovation overdue.
    16. Scroll Saw - never used it, but needs a stand.
    17. Fumping Bench - hardware drawer to come.
    18. Tool Box/Metal Cabinet - A bought one!
    19. Router Table - router to be enclosed to connect to DC, modification to fence will be needed, then I'll build a whole new one!
    20. Drill Press - needs DC/table and fence.
    21. Bike (Cupboards Over) - Bike's good, but my lunch box has a crack in it, and the cupboards are finished!
    22. Dust Collector - works just fine, and the 6" connections are ready to go. I'll probably build a cyclone early next millenium.
    23. Drum Sander (moves) - may do a 6" DC pickup one day
    24. Compressor (high on wall)- going to reticulate airlines everywhere one day.
    25. Thicknesser (moves)- may do a 6" DC pickup one day
    26. Jointer (moves)- may do a 6" DC pickup one day
    27. Room for canoe/dinghy - have two started.... better get a move on with one at least I reckon.
    28. Cars (move as required) - one overdue for service.
    29. Cutting/Layout Table - needs a bit of renovation
    30. Timber Racks (full length) - finished last year!
    31. Sheet Goods Store - finished that too!
    32. Steel Shelving - second hand coolroom shelves treated with Fisholene...mmmm.
    All of that's made me tired....

Cheers,

P

I reckon you will need some more lighting over the cars area, for a multiple/large project assembely area. Also noticed you have no area for applying finish, maybe some plastic sheets that drop down from ceiling.
    Aircon?
    Cold water fountain?(with connection for 50lt keg...)
    Keno bar pool table and pokie machines?
    Were all coming to your place!

Default Midge's Disco

Yep, Just love Saturday nights on the BB dontcha? ...where's the glitter ball midge?...and the steps down to the dungeon ...Its too much for a Saturday really. I promise I'll look at it proper during the week.

Cheers
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

Geez mate, your pretty well tooled out! That is an awe inspiring setup you have there. Im green..

J!
    J!

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, and its price is competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72
    I reckon you will need some more lighting over the cars area, for a multiple/large project assembely area.
    You are correct Harry, but the garage door is a panel-lift, so ceiling lights can't happen... I have a couple of those 2 X 500 w jobbies on stands that work well (and provide enough heat to give a lovely tan.

Also noticed you have no area for applying finish, maybe some plastic sheets that drop down from ceiling.
    Sorry I didn't mention that! Currently I have some old sheets which clip to the top and bottom edge of the Garage door when it's open, with air circulation via the ceiling mounted filter. I have a scheme to use el'cheapo plastic drop sheets on battens like roller blinds, with a filtered exhaust... but that's before the next big spray job, probably my sailing dinghy refurb late this year.

Aircon?
    When I live in Paradise?? There is plenty of breeze, the ceiling is insulated with 50mm fibreglass and of course reflective foil (so I can work without the beanie on). But...... it is possible!!.

Cold water fountain?(with connection for 50lt keg...)
    Well I can't help you on the keg front, but there is a bar fridge under Bench 11. (and it is stocked well with cold water).

Cheers,

P

Woodlice,
    Thanks. It took me thirty years to get to a point where setting up the shed became the hobby rather than looking for stuff every time I had a job to do! (Eventually I'll get back to doing other stuff though!)

Apart from the cost of the machinery (surprisingly little over a long period of time) and the shed space.... the rest is just time and scrounging!

You should also note that there's nothing flash about my tool collection..except maybe that it's a catalogue of every el-cheapo brand from the last century, and I have the world's most comprehensive collection of paint splattered screw-drivers and chisels which are able to be used interchangably (not a word but you'll understand I'm sure!).

Cheers,

P

Squizz,

Sadly the steps to the dungeon are external.... but I thought I'd pop the photo's in just to complete the shed story (before we go inside on the real one!). All the neatly stacked 2x1 in the racks is firewood, enough to power us through the next ice age at the rate we burn it, but I do get to replace it with "proper" stuff as it goes.

The timber lattice matches a screen fence at the other side of the house, 3,500 checks in total..... and they wonder why I didn't get anything finished last year!!!

Cheers,

P

Inspiratoinal......

I haven't done a single thing to my new shed since the 2nd weekend in Janurary.

Been too busy with Gina's new shed (kitchen) & the local theatre group. Opens Sunday 13 March, I'm doing lighting (with some help.) The paly, not the kitchen....
    The kitchen is almost finished but there's also a new ensuite & a new office & they need wiring too.
    Now you have the plans, when will it be finished?
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Looks to me like the boat's in the way Midge. You can store it at my place if you like.

Dan
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Wow Bitingmidge !!!

What a fantastic setup. A great deal of thought has gone into the plan, well done indeed mate. I appreciate the motivation, I am still doing what you used to do, go a'hunting every time I need a tool.

Good positioning of the mobile machines, have come to the same conclusion myself, that the thicknesser and buzzer need to be wheely machines. By the way, what sort of wheels did you put on them?

Where are all your tools, planes, chisels/screwdrivers (sshhhh) kept, is it in no. 18 tool box?? Are they going to have pride of place under the fumping bench in the new cupboard? The compressor high on the wall is a good idea too, saw that in a FWW and thought, 'I must do that'. I haven't of course.

One other thought, do you have a cleaning area, sink or washtrough anywhere in the garage/shed or do you need to go inside for that?

Do keep this thread alive, (give that keyboard a bashing) and post pictures when you can, would like to see all the tools and layout. Top bench, (fumping) by the way, very impressed.

The whole setup, like Squizz said, lots of green this side of the ethernet.

Cheers
    Pops

G'day midge,

Geez that looks like a mighty fine set-up there :eek:

And here was I dining out with the inlaws with a fine red and a marvelous rare eye fillet. SWMBO even drove Your work brings me to tears To think you were doing all that while I was out enjoying myself

I'd draw a plan too but my space is just a second garage under the house 10m long and 7m wide with so much stuff in it I have to hunt and/or move things to do anybloodything

I made a resolution about 5 years ago to get organised but I'm so busy lookin for stuff most of the time that I just can't seem to get a round tuit. I tried turning one but it was a failure I'm afraid. :confused:

And all that ducting in the ceiling - well done. I've got about 5 meters of flexible hose lying on the floor that I drag around to the item of choice after I've fallen over it for the umpteenth time Still it lets me vacuum up the mess that that the machine make that don't have dust extraction

I'll stay home next Saturday night and see if I can replicate your efforts - maybe that will help

Jamie
    Perhaps it is better to be irresponsible and right, than to be responsible and wrong.
    Winston Churchill

Great work but where are the photos? I just love tool .
    Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    1. Office Desk/Drawing Board- finished new Board two years ago!
    Drawing board??? Didn't they go out with the Ark? Shouldn't you be doing your drawing on that nice shiny Mac you have? Then again, you may be planning to build an Ark

Rocker

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast