Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The missing tradesman and the stairs

I've dealt with a number of so called tradesmen in my time and often wondered whether there should be another term to describe some who would like to call themselves tradesmen.

Well this is what I wasted 2 days of my time on because the tradesman decided to abandon the site. Overpaid progress payments. He did the majority of the laying of the floorboards but left the "hard bits" like the stairs. No-one wanted to touch this work so because stupid cannot say no ......

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

was he a "timber floor installer"

Quote Originally Posted by Gaza
    was he a "timber floor installer"
    who quoted on the entire job and then the stairs as an extra. He specifically suggested the stairs be done in floorboards. I still had to lay about 20 square metres of normal floorboards in the walk in wardrobe and around the curved walls.

No doubt he left because of what was left. Three weeks of excuses before I had to do it..

Not the first time herd a storey like this, floor layers are giving the industry a bad name. They work on doing big areas making easy $$ and running they leave the hard bits as u said.
    U will more than likely find the bloke has not done a trade or is currenlty lic.
    That is why we dont use sqm rate floor layers, i only employ real carpenters on wages.
    I still have problems but we have specific systems on how to do each process. plus dont issue invoices till job is complete.

Honestly this was one bugger of a job. Curved walls and walls at various angles. Probably about 250m2 of floor so it would be hard not give progress payments for this much work.

I guess he should of said no before he started.

Reminds me of the characters who laid my floating floor. Had to get them back next day after they ran the skirting quad ALL around the bottom of the door frame..they didnt twig that at some stage I might want to close the doors. They were reluctant to come back untill I mentioned all the tools and clamps they left behind in their hurry to leave.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Flash house, Cbus system for the lights and everything else i assume?
    Some People are like slinky's,
    They serve no purpose at all,
    but they put a smile on your face when you throw them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian007
    Flash house, Cbus system for the lights and everything else i assume?
    Very flash house - $1million+ building.

Hows a $10,000 bath tub sound.

Like you've got more money than sense
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by boban
    Hows a $10,000 bath tub sound.
    For that money I'd want someone like Nicole Kidman in there with me
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    Like you've got more money than sense
    I still find it hard to justify spending any more than the $119 for something I will never jump in. $10,000 is half the price of a good ute. I guess I will never know what its like to spend that sort of money on a bath of all things.

A mate of mine worked on a house up at Church Point for one of the Farriss brothers (INXS). It had gold plated tap sets and there was a stripe of 1cm square gold plated tiles that ran around the wall. God knows what they paid for the bath :eek:

Well, like they say, you can't take it with you. Some people have more 'it' than most.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

You are in luck Boban, there is a term for so called tradesmen, admittedly it's not very well known outside of the UK.

In the UK backyarders and shonky tradesmen are called "cowboys", it's used extensively across the country. So there you have it, keep away from cowboys and you will be OK.

There are variations of course, like "who put that sink in John Wayne?"

Default more photos

To be fair to the owner, the house has come along nicely and looks like it is worth the money.

I've attached a few photos so that you can see the bath and type of finish

I suppose my mind just boggles at the thought that there are people who can afford to spend $1 million building a house.

Stubchain, that's a very well known term here, or at least I've known and used it for years. There are cowboys in my industry as well...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast