Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Twisted dovetail templates possible?

I wrote a dovetail template generator web app
    http://www.blocklayer.com/Woodjoints/
    and now I've had a go at making a twisted dovetail template generator like the one here
    http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/r...cles_442.shtml

But I'm not sure if it is set up correctly, or even if it will work for these joints. I'm away from home, and have no tools or wood to test it. Its tricky to try and figure out how they work in your head and on paper. So if someone who knows about twisted dovetails could take a look at the test app and let me know if, how and where I stuffed it up, and if I'm on the right track, I'd appreciate it. The test app lives here
    http://www.blocklayer.com/woodjoints/DovetailTwist.aspx

Thanks for any feedback

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I take it twisted dovetails aren't all that popular round here. Anyway, I used the templates to make one out of polystyrene and a bread knife and it fits together ok. And also added different colours to the pieces and a drawing of the assembled joint to make it clearer. I'd still like to know from a real woodworker if it's useable though.

Patience, mate, patience.

I'll be trying it out, but not until the weekend or maybe be the one after that. Or maybe... Too many other jobs on the list and not enough time in the week. I'm sure that's true of others here as well.

It strikes me as more of a decorative joint, so I'm sure one or two of our resident box-makers will also be looking at giving it a go.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

I've been meaning to give cutting this joint a go, it looks like it's correct. In fact, the template might come in extra handy because unlike normal dovetails you can't scribe one piece from the other.

You could use the Angle Mag Jig and a japanese saw to cut these different angles.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

I'm an ignorant rustic and I'm curious - what on earth are twisted dovetails????? :confused:

cheers
    RufflyRustic

Quote Originally Posted by rufflyrustic
    I'm an ignorant rustic and I'm curious - what on earth are twisted dovetails????? :confused:

cheers
    RufflyRustic
    They are just like regular dovetails, but with a more bizarre sense of humour. They are the perfectly fitting dovetail for this Forum....

Retired member

Default Perfect answer

Quote Originally Posted by Felder
    They are just like regular dovetails, but with a more bizarre sense of humour. They are the perfectly fitting dovetail for this Forum....

A complete answer to Wendy's question - and it doesn't convey any meaningful information either. Well done - you have a future in politics!!!
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Felder

Awwww, Felder!!!!!! OK so I asked for that , now any takers on a good answer?

Have a close look at the drawing folks, it's an impossible joint, you would never get it together.

It's not impossible. It comes together by pushing the two pieces together, rather than one piece 'into' the other as in normal dovetails. Poor description sorry.

My understanding of a "twisted dovetail" is based on looking at the thing and not from cutting one - I have not cut one. Probably should give it a go, but other things keep cropping up. Still, what I see is essentially a regular dovetail - a very wide, but still regular dovetail - which is then divided into three sections. So it just looks complex, but it still functions like an ordinary dovetail joint. In other words, when laying out the joint, lay out as if for very wide, normal dovetails, then divide them into thirds with the two outer sections having parallel lines.

Regards from Perth

Derek

The one I made from polystyrene fits together, but you need to place the inner edges together at 45 degrees and sort of slide it together to 90 degrees. Or lay the pieces back to back and roll them together to 90 degrees. I also added X's to the templates, as someone suggested earlier.