Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Ready to toss the Domino

I am absolutely sick of this tool. I just scrapped some prime cherry table legs and a days worth of work. This is the second time the fence has failed to hold dimension and scrapped work. I doubt I will trust this tool again.

The problem is specifically the height of the mortise on the face. I have cranked the stupid lever down as far as it will go, and it doesn't hold. Only had to do 8 mortises at 22 mm height. By the end of the run the mortises had moved to 27mm.

Here's a link to a video showing me locking the fence, but then moving it by hand. If it can't grip tighter then this, there's no way it will hold while this tool is running and mortising.

http://www.mindspear.com/woodworking...nceproblem.avi

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Jeff,

You have my sympathy. I watched your short vid as well. My guess is that the locking knob is either defective or broken. (Not exactly a world-class deduction, huh? ) I think I remember reading in another thread somewhere that Festool specifically said not to "crank the stupid lever down as far as it will go" as this could damage it. I am not savvy enough to propose a fix, but when Lignum or one of the other Domi experts get on the board, perhaps they will have a suggestion.
    Cheers,

Bob

Serious talk for a tool as expensive as it is. I'm looking forward to an answer too.

CP

Jeff its the simplest of simple things to fix so dont stress

Disconect the body from the fence and undo the screw on the lever, then turn the lever a 1/4 turn anti-clockwise and re tighten the screw. Simple

(if it is still a bit lose just repeat it)

Lignum is right, should be an easy fix.

The lever position is adjustable which means it can be positioned to suit the users preference (within working limits), as well as being tweaked if it needs to be repositioned for more pressure once it has been 'run-in'.

I have heard of someone who had a similar problem and thought it was broken, and was continuing to use their Domino with a small F-clamp on the fence until they got time to sort the problem out properly, but the problem is easily resolved.

Having said that, try the fix and see if it corrects the issue first to make sure nothing is more seriously wrong.
    Last edited by scooter; 3rd July 2007 at 09:35 PM.

Ok. I was able to fix it, though I am concerned about what happens long term.

I pulled off the movable part of the fence by removing the plastic caps at the top of the slide.

Then I took some 60 grit sandpaper and roughed up the face where the locking shoe rides.

After that I removed the lever and found a nut that was inside the lever. I twisted that finger tight and replaced the lever. This gave the fence enough grip to hold. But that nut is all the way tight, so I hope that I can continue to adjust this over the life of the tool.

The legs were fixed. After two of these incidents I have become very familiar with the fill and hack method of re-doing the mortises. That repair works well, but after doing 14 of them, sanding flush etc it is a pain in the rear. Plus after about 5 of them you find yourself reaching for the 60 grit. Anytime you reach for 60 grit in the shop to fix a problem -- you need ask yourself if you are thinking rationally. Best to step back and have a beer before committing to such action.

You gotta like the aerodynamic stance with minimal wind resistance.

Add some wax to the dome and there'll be less still ;-}
    Cheers, Ern

I think you're a fake. Where's all the shavings,sawdust, offcuts and the stuff-up bin?

I had the same problem with the other lever. Well, not me, the bloke demonstrating it to me. He was turning it the wrong way.
    If you never made a mistake, you never made anything!

Hi,

Remember everyone that i did have a similar problem with my Domino about a year ago. It would not centre or align with the height scale. Finally Festool replaced it without telling me what was wrong. Since i have not had any problem.

riri

Default I have had a similar problem

I've been through this with my Domino as well, very frustrating and time consuming to fix. I had to laugh at you comment about 60 grit, I've been there as well. I was glad to see you fix, I didn't rough of the surface of my fence, but I will now, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG. View Post
    I am absolutely sick of this tool. I just scrapped some prime cherry table legs and a days worth of work. This is the second time the fence has failed to hold dimension and scrapped work. I doubt I will trust this tool again.

The problem is specifically the height of the mortise on the face. I have cranked the stupid lever down as far as it will go, and it doesn't hold. Only had to do 8 mortises at 22 mm height. By the end of the run the mortises had moved to 27mm.

Here's a link to a video showing me locking the fence, but then moving it by hand. If it can't grip tighter then this, there's no way it will hold while this tool is running and mortising.

http://www.mindspear.com/woodworking...nceproblem.avi

Jeff, If you want to toss it in my direction, I would be happy to put up with the problems you are having.