Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Domino difficulties

I have recently started using my new Domino and am having problems with the height of the slots from the working face being inconsistent. I have looked carefully at the machine and can see no obvious reason for this.
    Does anyone have any ideas?
    Terry M

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Terry,

First up check the fence height adjustment is locking tightly. I assume you covered this when you checked over the machine, but I thought I would mention it again.

Second, exact alignment of the top face is compromised if firm pressure is not placed on the fence (front knob) when making the plunge. Especially important to watch when making large diameter mortise.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Anthony, I did check the fence height adjustment lock was tight. I was also particularly careful about having firm pressure on the top plate as I had made a mess of this the very first time that I used it.
    The cut slots are exactly parallel to the top face of the board but not all are in the centre.
    Terry M

Hi Terry,
    to follow on from Anthony (he of the Festool castle), firm pressure does not mean pushing the plate into the workpiece. Another cause of off centre cuts is to be found in the way that you hold the Domino.
    It is intuitive to hold the Domi by the barrel (see pic#1), butif you think about where the mainb pressure is being applied, it ix not directly forward, but down and to the side.
    Holding the Domi by the plug it attachment (pic #2, you can go back even further really) gives controlled true forward guidance. If you are not already, try using this method.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks Rob, I will give this a whirl.
    Terry M

Also notice Rob has the workpiece firmly clamped down to the bench - also important.

One other thing. If you are mortising a piece which is less than 21mm thick, make sure you have the edge to be mortised hanging over the edge of the bench. Less than 21mm and the base plate of the Domino rests on the bench, and stops the fence from resting on the workpiece.

I think it's 21mm. I've gone home for the day and can't do a double-check. But I know if you are dominoing standard 19mm stock, the base of the Domino sits on the bench and you don't get the fence resting on the workpeice. Therefore you are actually placing the mortise a constant distance from the underside rather than the top side.

Just one more thing.
    Let the cutter do the work. Gentle forward pressure is all you need. The Domi makes everything easy and fast already, so you are best not to force the cutter into the workpiece.

Regards,

Rob

Yes.

Also, long grain is easier than end-grain.

Pick an appropriate plunge-speed for the density of the timber being worked with. Some timbers take a quick one/two second plunge really well, others require you to take your time. Although we are still talking only a few seconds here. The timber will give you feedback helping you get your plunge speed right.

Tag you're it Rob.

Was it the Temple of Doom where they had that room full of snakes - the Well of Souls? Rob's floor reminds me of it...

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    Was it the Temple of Doom where they had that room full of snakes - the Well of Souls? Rob's floor reminds me of it...
    Hisss-terical Greg

Many thanks for all the constructive comments from you blokes.
    I do clamp down my work Anthony and I have already found the problem with thinner workpieces.
    I was interested to see the local Festool man over here in the West give a Domi demo last week with the work piece held freehand. He seemed to manage OK but I suppose it is a case of familiarity breeding contempt.
    Thanks again to all.
    Terry M

I have had the same problem as you and I fixed it (I hope) by holding the plug as Rob indicated. There is a tendency to lift and push.

also check that your 90° fence markings are actually square (with a square). Mine aren't and when I set the fence to 90° I have to check it for square and move it slightly away from the 90° marking (about 1°). It does affect the surfaces lining up flush if its not square.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Wozcraft View Post
    Many thanks for all the constructive comments from you blokes.
    I do clamp down my work Anthony and I have already found the problem with thinner workpieces.
    I was interested to see the local Festool man over here in the West give a Domi demo last week with the work piece held freehand. He seemed to manage OK but I suppose it is a case of familiarity breeding contempt.
    Thanks again to all.
    Hand holding the Domino and workpiece is quite easy a lot of the time... and I tend to push the workpiece against a stop on the bench quite a bit and not clamp it down. But when I strike a difficult piece of timber or more difficult angle, firm clamping of the workpiece allows me to concentrate on what I am doing with the machine.

Hey Groggy... tell us your concentration/familiarisation story again... the one where blood comes out.

I only wish I was allowed to keep my workshop as lived in as Rob manages.

Quote Originally Posted by martrix View Post
    also check that your 90° fence markings are actually square (with a square). Mine aren't and when I set the fence to 90° I have to check it for square and move it slightly away from the 90° marking (about 1°). It does affect the surfaces lining up flush if its not square.
    Hi Martrix. Have you adjusted the fence so its right now, or are you getting our the square every time?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast