Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Elegant Beauties

Bought the EBs from Jim. Second from left is cross cut orange osage - very different from the osage on the left.
    Bruce.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I think they are probably very nice ,but my old eyes can't see them too good

Bruce, need some photos to help see them! Amos
    Good, better, best, never let it rest;
    Til your good is better, and your
    better, best.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenink View Post
    Bruce, need some photos to help see them! Amos
    Sorry about that Amos. Thought I had included a photo but obviously I am a computer dunce. Can't figure what I have done incorrectly.
    Bruce

Here you go Bruce. I had to shrink the picture down to attach it. Hopefully this will come out.
    Bob C.

Never give up.

I think I'm really liking that kit - may have to get some. That second osage orange is a Wow! Is the third one snakewood? Nicely done! How did you like working with snakewood?
    When all is said and done, there is usually a whole lot more said than done.

Thanks for posting the picture Bob. Yes Cisco, the third is snakewood and the 4th is cocobola. Snakewood was OK to turn - the crosscut osage is a bit more of a problem as you would expect. The Ebs I have made (from Jim & Bruce on Sunshine Coast ) are daycoms, which require different bushes and drill bit size to the bereas from addictive. (I think).
    Bruce

Top shelf work Bruce, beautiful timbers and kit to match . I'd like to see if the big brand name pen makers can work in cross cut timbers and snakewood, and produce a better quality product.

As an example, I went into a leading name pen shop in Melbourne and asked if I could see the 2003 Faber Castell pen of the year which was made of snakewood and was completely desicrated because it had reeds running along it, which made it look like a long dowel. Absolute waste of snakewood and the finish was only a sprayed matt lacquer. They sold like hot cakes because they were limited edition, had a "pretty" presentation box and a price tag over $1100. By the way, the metal components were platinum plated, but so what, so are our handcrafted pens.

Sorry guys, I'm having a gripe, but truth be said, I wish pen buyers would open their eyes and see the difference in quality between a hand made pen and a machine made one.

Evan

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Pavlidis View Post
    As an example, I went into a leading name pen shop in Melbourne and asked if I could see the 2003 Faber Castell pen of the year which was made of snakewood and was completely desicrated because it had reeds running along it, which made it look like a long dowel. Absolute waste of snakewood and the finish was only a sprayed matt lacquer. They sold like hot cakes because they were limited edition, had a "pretty" presentation box and a price tag over $1100. By the way, the metal components were platinum plated, but so what, so are our handcrafted pens.

Sorry guys, I'm having a gripe, but truth be said, I wish pen buyers would open their eyes and see the difference in quality between a hand made pen and a machine made one.

Evan
    Gripe away. I just looked it up, and I consider that your gripes are well justified.

All the character of the wood is gone.

Rod

Bruce, they are very nice pens, well done.
    Could you explain where you purchased the kits from on the sunshine coast.

terry

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Pavlidis View Post
    Top shelf work Bruce, beautiful timbers and kit to match . I'd like to see if the big brand name pen makers can work in cross cut timbers and snakewood, and produce a better quality product.

Evan
    Here, here Evan, I agree with you. gently gently we go.

Bruce you have produced some very nice pens in an excellent choice of medium, well done.

I'm the lucky recipient of the cross cut orange osage pen (second from left in the photo). It is a beautiful pen, very nice heft and balance, and the timber is just stunning. I can't wait to get a lathe!
    Bob C.

Never give up.

Thanks for all the flattering comments - I'm new to pen making and raed this site frequently. Great ideas and many great pens on display. Thank you all. Terry, my Sunshine Coast supplier is Bruce Haggie, Wood n Workshop, 1A/4 Dual Ave., Warana. Ph.5493 5402. ( No personal connection.) Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by RodNeep View Post
    Gripe away. I just looked it up, and I consider that your gripes are well justified.

All the character of the wood is gone.

Rod
    I kinda like it. The longitudinal lines make it appear very sleek. Overall, the lines are exceptionally clean and it looks like it would be a pleasure to write with. On the other hand, there is no freaking way I would spend $1,100 on it. Not on a bet. I might go as high as $250 though.
    When all is said and done, there is usually a whole lot more said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post
    I kinda like it. The longitudinal lines make it appear very sleek. Overall, the lines are exceptionally clean and it looks like it would be a pleasure to write with. On the other hand, there is no freaking way I would spend $1,100 on it. Not on a bet. I might go as high as $250 though.

Exactly Cisco; why would anyone spend over $1000 for something I believe looks ordinary with the exception of the cap. There is no WOW factor in it like the pics of pens we make and post. People do buy them because at that price they assume it must be good with the help of massive advertising and the name to boot.
    In fact the picture of that pen looks quite beafy with mass, but when you see it and hold it, it is nothing like it. I kid you not.

Evan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast