PDA

View Full Version : Re-splining an axle shaft in Sydney

zuffen
19th March 2011, 08:46 PM
As part of my build process on my car I need to narrow the rear axle by around 300mm.

I can gain 50mm on the long axle side by using a short axle, after shortneing the housing 50mm.

The other side will have the housing shortened and the left over long axle will need to be shortened , the diameter reduced and re-splined.

Any suggestions on whom in Sydney does this or is there anyone on this site who can do (for payment of course) it as I would rather give money to a fellow member than a company I don't know.

For those that didn't know most cars have one rear axle longer than the other to allow for the crown wheel being offest to one side of the pinion in the diff.

Dave J
19th March 2011, 09:05 PM
I know from my sons car magazines that there are a lot of guys advertising diff conversions down in Sydney. They would have to shorten the axles to do it so I would contact them.
I know there is a company up here called Promac engineering that would do it, but they are a bit far away from you.

Dave

pipeclay
19th March 2011, 09:09 PM
Where in sydney are you.

zuffen
19th March 2011, 09:15 PM
Pipeclay,

Warrawee, which is around 1klm from the end of the F3 near Hornsby.

pipeclay
19th March 2011, 09:29 PM
Give this number a call on Monday,they are very good,located at Granville near Speedway,Otemac Engineering 9637 0858.

zuffen
19th March 2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks,

Will do.

I don't need it done for a month or more sso I can get things lined up and go from there.

China
20th March 2011, 10:59 PM
Have you tried to obtain a off the shelf item there are many combinations available and most likley would be less expensive

zuffen
21st March 2011, 07:32 AM
I need to shorten a long Nissan Patrol GQ axle by around 250mm (not yet decided exactly how much) and these are rearely shortened so there's nothing "off the shelf".

If I used a Ford 9" there would be a possibility of getting one.

Also the Patrol spline size and count isn't too common either.

.RC.
21st March 2011, 08:36 AM
For a home shop doing it the cutter will be the sticking point... Although it would be an easy job for a CNC with a 4th axis using just a plain end mill with the appropriate software. YouTube - P1010267.MOV