PDA

View Full Version : Old pencil case

powderpost
26th March 2012, 11:46 AM
Been having a spell from the lathe lately. So last weekend I built a couple of old style pencil cases, just for fun.. :) Had some very old hoop pine (about 40 years old) in the rack and thought that would be the appropriate material to use. Could use some photographic instruction too.. :-
Jim

Acco
26th March 2012, 12:16 PM
But where's the inbuilt pencil sharpener :D

Nice one Jim :2tsup:

Lyle
26th March 2012, 12:43 PM
Pencil case??? What is a pencil case? :D
Maybe call it a laser pointer case or a USB thumb drive holder. :wink:

I like it. what is the finish? And is that a bit of inlay or a stencil on the top?
Lyle.

powderpost
26th March 2012, 02:59 PM
Pencil case??? What is a pencil case? :D
Maybe call it a laser pointer case or a USB thumb drive holder. :wink:

I like it. what is the finish? And is that a bit of inlay or a stencil on the top?
Lyle.
:D Point taken Lyle. I sold these at the local markets some time back, and was asked to make some more. I think they are bought by people remembering heir school days. There won't be much need for pencils soon.
Because they are made from pine, no grain filler was needed. Two sprayed coats of laquer and cut back with Ubeauts EEE gave them a nice luster. The inlay on the lid is a timber motif I made .
Jim

Christos
27th March 2012, 02:03 AM
Well done.

And also well done on selling them.

Pariss
28th March 2012, 06:44 PM
Hi Jim. Just wondering, did you cut back with EEE before applying the Lacquer finish, or after the Lacquer had dried ?. Just love this pencil case. I had one exactly the same 50 something years ago :oo::2tsup::2tsup:.

powderpost
28th March 2012, 09:11 PM
G'day Pariss,
The EEE was applied and buffed off, after the final coat of laquer had dried.
Jim

artme
29th March 2012, 06:57 AM
Nice job PP!! brings back a few memories:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Robson Valley
29th March 2012, 07:29 AM
What a Time Bomb! I'd hate to give a kid a pencil case that nicely finished. Rodney had two of those. He sold condoms out of one of them. Mostly to the matric girls, he said.

Hermit
30th March 2012, 08:37 AM
A touch of nostalgia. They look great.
A quick question - what did you use to hinge the upper half?

... Steve

munruben
30th March 2012, 09:39 AM
Brings back a few memories of my schooldays. has a pencil case similar to that. Great work. looks terrific.:2tsup::2tsup:

powderpost
30th March 2012, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the nice comments people, they are appreciated.

A quick question - what did you use to hinge the upper half?

... Steve
G'day Steve,
There is a screw through the top section into the bottom section. The sliding top is hiding it.
Jim

Hermit
30th March 2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the nice comments people, they are appreciated.

G'day Steve,
There is a screw through the top section into the bottom section. The sliding top is hiding it.
Jim

Thanks, Jim.

... Steve