PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Cubby House ( Well Cubby Castle)

luke1983
10th January 2013, 06:07 PM
Hey,
My wife has told me to Throw out my old building timber or use it , as such i chose to use it so i started building the kids a cubby house . I am trying to save some $$$ here and was just going to use 12mm plyboard ( as its cheap) for the outside walls , the hole thing will be painted , my question is will it survive a few years in the weather?

My father in law says i need to use marine grade , but isn't that overkill for a building with a life span of 5-10 years max?

Please point me in the right direction here, on one side , i really dont want to spend the money, on the other side i want it to last for my kids at least:U

Handyjack
10th January 2013, 08:37 PM
I have seen ply board starting to de-laminate after twelve months even in a semi sheltered location, albeit unsealed.
You do take a risk not using marine grade but you will save $$. Either way paint will extend the life. A cubby house may end up being used as a storage shed or additional kids come along, so its life is suddenly 20+ years.

Sam
10th January 2013, 10:01 PM
I used treated pine fence palings horizontally, ship lapped and painted. Cheap and easy to transport.

Sam