PDA

View Full Version : Advice on bandsaw

Bucky
1st June 2017, 06:17 PM
Went to the Brisbane Wood Show which was a bit disappointing. Not many exhibitors. Did buy a Gifkins dovetail jig. Anyway I digress I have decided that my next purchase will be a decent bandsaw, I have an Aldi one that leaves a lot to be desired. I want one suitable for general work, cutting curves, etc. but mainly resawing. Budget around $1500. Tried finding reviews online but most are either American or English. What do others use that they are happy with and recommend?

Cheers

Tccp123
1st June 2017, 08:22 PM
At the risk of being flamed :), I bought a s/h Taiwanese generic model from Gumtree for $300. After replacing the blade with a 1/4" from Henry Bros, and replacing a cast alloy part that broke, it does everything I ask of it from resawing to cutting patterns with tight curves. It came with bearing guides (top only). What particularly impresses me is I can rip without the blade wandering.

Presumably more $$$ will get you more power and extra features like a brake, but these are features I don't necessarily need at this stage.

Anyway that's my experience. YMMV

Tony

RossM
3rd June 2017, 06:04 PM
I think I'm going to bite the bullet & buy one of the Hare and Forbes BP-360 saws while they are on eofy special pricing. I have very limited space so will be moved around a bit, and a LOT of stairs to carry it up to get it in the workspace under the house, so a heavy machine is out. The 360 will (I Hope) just about fit. I looked at the Record Power 14 inch - it's hard to justify the extra cost for slightly heavier wheels and slightly better guides. The BP-355 would be nice, but much heavier so would be hard to manage.

http://images.machineryhouse.com.au/products/W955/700/Main.jpg

This video explains the very similar BP-310

https://youtu.be/_bPQ7mxF5vI

Tccp123
3rd June 2017, 06:32 PM
Looks like a great machine for the money! It has a shedload of features. The video is really worth watching because it shows just how far the Chinese have come...

Tony

Bucky
3rd June 2017, 06:44 PM
i have been seriously considering the Laguna 14/12 a bit over my budget but has good reviews. Would be nice to get a real review from someone who has one.

Cheers

hurcorh
3rd June 2017, 06:58 PM
The Laguna's are well praised and should be worth the extra coin over Carbatec or Hafco for example.

double.d
3rd June 2017, 07:17 PM
i have been seriously considering the Laguna 14/12 a bit over my budget but has good reviews. Would be nice to get a real review from someone who has one.

Cheers

Bucky, if you go to the band saw section you will find some recents comments on the Laguna 14/12. I have been using mine for a few weeks now and have nothing bad to say about it.

Damienol
3rd June 2017, 07:52 PM
https://www.bbta.com.au/harvey-hw616e-16-bandsaw/

I love the Harvey gear for price vs quality.

Damienol
3rd June 2017, 07:54 PM
Maybe have a look at http://www.woodworkforums.com/f221/18-jet-bandsaw-hafco-dust-extractor-214585

markharrison
3rd June 2017, 08:10 PM
Yeah, the Brisbane show was, well, underwhelming. And that is sugar coating it!

Depth of cut is important but the critical criterion with resawing is the width of blade the saw can tension. A wide blade has more beam strength than a narrower blade.

There was a second hand Jet 18" bandsaw (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f221/18-jet-bandsaw-hafco-dust-extractor-214585?highlight=jet+18%26quot%3B+bandsaw%26quot%3B) for sale here in Brisbane by Alex. I don't know if it is still for sale but I have seen this saw in person, and it is well worth the asking price. I bought a drum sander from Alex. That is when I saw it (so to speak...).

I have a Jet 18" bandsaw and it will do everything you want to do. You will not be disappointed.

Bucky
4th June 2017, 08:27 AM
I have read the reviews my owners of the Laguna here and confirm that it is a good buy. The Jet advised also looks like a good buy making my decision harder. I have in the past always bought new not wanting to buy someone else's problems. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Cheers

artme
4th June 2017, 07:58 PM
About Laguna. Our club bought one and I would not personally have that particular model.

WHY?? It has ceramic block guides which are impossible to adjust. A replacement kit using roller guides seems to be
either unavailable or just bloody hard to get AND expensive.

The thing is not big enough for its attested purpose of re sawing. This is not so much a fault of the brand but probably
the marketing pitch to those apparently duped by the apparent quality of the saw. Yes it is well made, but it will not take
the thickness of blade that was recommended for re=saw work. The blade could not handle the tightness of the curve on the wheel.

The table, because of the size of the saw, is not big enough.

I know that not everything said above is peculiar to Laguna but they give some pointers as to what to look for.

Had I have had a say in the purchase my advice would have been to opt for a larger saw, such as the Hafco which has a better guide set up and is less costly.

Properly set up, according to the advice of Alex Snodgrass _ look him up on You Tube - The Hafco is a very good machine for the money.

NicGellie
4th June 2017, 08:56 PM
I am similarly looking for a 14" bandsaw for musical instrument making. So how does the BP-355 or BP-360 stack up against an equivalent Jet or Laguna?

I am looking to pay about a grand for one.

Xanthorrhoeas
4th June 2017, 09:26 PM
I had a Hafco BP355. It worked pretty well for the money but blade drift was a pain. Now that I know more about bandsaws I might have been able to fix that, but nothing I tried worked. None of the cheapo machines will work perfectly, nor will they resaw great big logs superbly. Unless you have heavy cast iron wheels and the ability to achieve considerable blade tension the machines do not handle the wider blades well.

But, traditionally, the 14 inch wheel bandsaws have been the mainstay of home workshops. As long as you do not expect them to be perfect and are prepared to fiddle with them you will be able to resaw adequately and cut curves adequately. Do remember though that these are very dangerous machines as they cut flesh more easily than wood.

There are some forums members in Brisbane that are totally in love with their Laguna, others are happy with their Hafco or Carbatec or Jet - it depends on what you expect to do with it.

My advice is to buy secondhand. The person who bought my BP355 got a bargain. When you buy new you stand to lose a lot more if you have made a mistake. Make sure to ask the hard questions of the forums member selling - any problems? blade drift? breakages? Most of us are pretty honest if we have the right questions asked.

One secret to a good bandsaw is the thing that often does not come with it - a good blade. The standard blades I bought with my Hafco should have been consigned to the bin immediately. However, with expensive tungsten carbide tipped blades it was a different and very much better beast. The Lenox tct blades from Henry Bros work well.

NicGellie
4th June 2017, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the advice. So what do you have now or what would you go for now? And if so, what constitutes a good bandsaw? Lagunas look really nice but I am not wanting to pay over $2k with all the accessories that are needed to set up a Laguna.

Xanthorrhoeas
4th June 2017, 11:16 PM
The heavier and more solid the bandsaw wheels the better. Decide what capacity resaw you really need. If you want to do fine work with a narrow blade consider a scroll saw instead - much safer. It is critical to know what you want from a machine before you buy one.

I'm afraid that good new machines cost a lot of money. I have a 20 inch monster with a 500 mm resaw (cutting height) ability. It was expensive, new, (very much more than the Laguna price) but I don't ever expect to buy another bandsaw. However, not everyone needs such a machine. Even it isn't perfect.

I have seen some brilliant old, big cast iron bandsaws going for very little money in the last few years. They can have massive cast iron wheels up to 30 inches yet only have a cutting height of 300 mm, but the quality has to be seen to be believed. You need a solid floor and good lifting gear however, so, once again, not for everyone.

A second-hand 18" machine like a Jet will out-perform most of the Chinese made new 14" machines and are usually good value for money. Or, look for a second hand 14" like the BP355 for little money and get good value, if not perfection.

Then buy good blades. Either bi-metal or tungsten carbide tipped from a good supplier.

NicGellie
4th June 2017, 11:28 PM
All good advice thanks. So the BP-355 bandsaw wasn't too bad if equipped with the right blade if I read you correctly.

I will also look into a scroll saw. I don't need to tip large chunks of wood. The largest would be 5" thick.

Chris Parks
5th June 2017, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the advice. So what do you have now or what would you go for now? And if so, what constitutes a good bandsaw? Lagunas look really nice but I am not wanting to pay over $2k with all the accessories that are needed to set up a Laguna.

There has been at least one Laguna returned to the retailer due to problems that were never resolved, it is documented somewhere in the archives of this forum and there was a lot of unhappiness with the Resaw King blades as well. The QC problems may have been resolved by now but it deserves to be noted before shelling out what is a considerable amount of money. I can't believe how prices have risen so much for bandsaws since I last looked, used would be where I would be looking, Grays auctions, Gumtree, Machinary4U are the obvious sources.

rtyuiop
5th June 2017, 01:55 PM
I'm reasonably happy with my laguna 14/12, but I think they were a bit optimistic thinking they can run 3/4" resaw blades on it, I have had a couple snap for no obvious reason, where a 1/2" just keeps on trucking.

I am thinking of upgrading sometime soon, but if I can find the workshop space I will probably put a big thick resaw blade on a big new saw, and keep the 14/12 for cutting curves.

Cheers,

Danny

Bucky
6th June 2017, 08:30 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I went to Gregory's yesterday, they didn't have the 14/12 in stock. I did look at the 14BX and now more confused/unsure than ever.

Cheers

rtyuiop
6th June 2017, 09:57 AM
I think the 14BX might be the same as the 14/12 but with some extras (the brake, light socket), and a bit more power if that helps? I could be wrong though!

If it helps I haven't really found the 14/12 lacking power - thinking about an upgrade is all about the bigger wheels (and a bigger table) for me.

Cheers,

Danny

MikeJ
6th June 2017, 11:07 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I went to Gregory's yesterday, they didn't have the 14/12 in stock. I did look at the 14BX and now more confused/unsure than ever.

Cheers

I have a 14BX and could not be happier. Despite what was said above the ceramic guides are extremely easy to setup. The rest of the saw was perfect out of the box. Installed a 3/4inch resaw king and cut 2 mm veneers off a 10inch high block of myrtle without further adjustment.
A great saw but a bit above your original budget.
Cheers
Mike

Chris Parks
6th June 2017, 11:11 AM

Cheers

I am sure a forum member who has one would let you have a look and a chat about the saw. Perhaps PM John Samuel, I now he has one and if he is in the country I am sure he would be only too happy to run you through it.

Deverell
6th June 2017, 12:27 PM
I have the hare and forbes BP355, so far seems a great machine. I thought it was a good buy for the price, and has done everything I have wanted it to so far. Did take a little bit of tuning to get it running how I wanted it to. Only negative I have is the table does not have a full sized miter slot, however that is rarely used on my machine.

I helped a mate set up his Laguna 14bx which is a lovely well made machine. The construction seems a bit better and having things like a brake is good. I think however that for double the price it may not be worth it.

As others have said if I were to buy again I might wait for a good deal to come up with a secondhand machine.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Alkahestic
6th June 2017, 05:47 PM
I was looking at bandsaws a year ago and eventually settled on the Laguna 14BX. Initially I was thinking of spending around $1500 too. What sold me on the 14BX was the build quality and sturdiness. The 14/12 is good too, it's downsides are a smaller motor 1.75hp vs 2.5hp, no brake, and the body comes in 2 pieces. For the space I had then, I couldn't really fit anything larger than a 14" saw, 18" would be nice but they're pretty big machines to fit in a garage. What won me over with the Laguna 14BX was the really good build quality, cheaper saws felt so much more fiddly and not all of the wheels were cast iron. I saw someone mentioned that they didn't like the ceramic guides - not sure why, they are fantastic and quite quick to setup. I've resawn 8" spotted gum and sliced off 2-3mm thick veneers with a 1/2" Laguna (not resaw king) blade. I can slide the fence into position and cut away, once the guides are set and the tension is correct, there is no blade drift. The manual is actually half decent too. If it's of interest to you, I'm happy to take a couple of pics this weekend of some resaws or any parts of the machine you have a question about.

The only negatives I have are that dust collection is just ok (but better than most other saws) and the table is bordering on the smaller side. The upper wheel also doesn't drop all the way down like it should when the tension lever is released, the wheel has to be given a bit of a pull to get it to drop. It doesn't affect anything, but this is a premium saw, so it was a bit unexpected.

If I could go back a year and get my money back, I'm pretty sure I'd buy the 14BX again. It is (relatively) expensive, but after a project or two, the cost of the wood that's been run through the saw will probably be greater than the saw. It's also a satisfying machine to use, I don't go up to it wondering what I'm going to have to do to it to make it do what I want. Turn it on and cut away.

Just George
6th June 2017, 08:44 PM
Consider the 14" Powermatic, it's around your budget, and good for resewing with the riser kit with the right blade. 2HP motor, personally I do not like the colour though. I bought the JET 14", and am happy with it.

Though if you want an awesome saw, go the 15" JET....

Tccp123
6th June 2017, 08:48 PM
Seems to me there's been a lot of advice here from my suggested $300 Gumtree Taiwanese special to the Laguna Rolls Royce. So it's really up to you. What's your priority, perfection or value?

For me it's value but I understand perfectly when others choose perfection. Good luck in your choice.

markharrison
6th June 2017, 09:20 PM
Blade drift can be tuned out in most bandsaws with all but the widest blades. The biggest problem is that a myth persists on how blades should be set to run on the wheels.

The myth goes that the blade should be set to run square in the middle of the wheel. That guarantees drift. If you think about the geometry of a bandsaw blade on a crowned wheel, it makes complete sense that this should be the expected outcome.

You want the teeth on the blade to be on the crown of the wheel. This way the blade's teeth are presented perpendicular to the leading edge of the board. You adjust this by setting the tracking on the top wheel to get the blade to track with the teeth on the crown of the wheel.

I discovered this for myself after thinking about the problem after a truly frustrating session. But, I have seen the guy that does the Carter bandsaw accessory demos say the same thing on his videos.

Just George
6th June 2017, 09:28 PM
Blade drift can be tuned out in most bandsaws with all but the widest blades. The biggest problem is that a myth persists on how blades should be set to run on the wheels.

The myth goes that the blade should be set to run square in the middle of the wheel. That guarantees drift. If you think about the geometry of a bandsaw blade on a crowned wheel, it makes complete sense that this should be the expected outcome.

You want the teeth on the blade to be on the crown of the wheel. This way the blade's teeth are presented perpendicular to the leading edge of the board. You adjust this by setting the tracking on the top wheel to get the blade to track with the teeth on the crown of the wheel.

I discovered this for myself after thinking about the problem after a truly frustrating session. But, I have seen the guy that does the Carter bandsaw accessory demos say the same thing on his videos.

Go to YouTube and search Alex Snodgrass Bandsaw Clinic, he uses a Powermatic 14" and tunes it, sets it up and shows how to use it in ways most people would never use it.

If you do not need to buy one now, keep an eye out at Carbatec over the next few months to see what they launch for their 30th anniversary.

NicGellie
6th June 2017, 10:08 PM
Seems to me there's been a lot of advice here from my suggested $300 Gumtree Taiwanese special to the Laguna Rolls Royce. So it's really up to you. What's your priority, perfection or value?

For me it's value but I understand perfectly when others choose perfection. Good luck in your choice.

Well I am using it for cutting wood to make musical instruments so I don't need to cut thick pieces of wood - up to 10cm and usually a lot less.

So why the Carbatec powermatic 14" bandsaw George and not anything else? And thanks for the tip setting up the blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just George
6th June 2017, 10:14 PM
Well I am using it for cutting wood to make musical instruments so I don't need to cut thick pieces of wood - up to 10cm and usually a lot less.

So why the Carbatec powermatic 14" bandsaw George and not anything else? And thanks for the tip setting up the blade.

It has a good motor, good guides and cast iron wheels. Being able to ad the riser kit is an added bonus. For setup, watch the YouTube video by Alex Snodgrass, he does a demo in America in front of a small crowd, it will show you all you need to know about setup.

NicGellie
6th June 2017, 10:16 PM
It has a good motor, good guides and cast iron wheels. Being able to ad the riser kit is an added bonus. For setup, watch the YouTube video by Alex Snodgrass, he does a demo in America in front of a small crowd, it will show you all you need to know about setup.

And it is not much more than the 14" Powermatic!

Just George
6th June 2017, 10:19 PM
And it is not much more than the 14" Powermatic!

Yeah, Carbatec sell the Powermatic, the initial post said about $1500, this is a little more than that but worth it.

The YouTube video I suggested will show how good it is.

NicGellie
6th June 2017, 10:23 PM
Well it is interesting that there are a lot of Laguna fans out there. The Powermatic should be a pretty good saw if one goes by the specs and its reputation?

Just George
6th June 2017, 10:26 PM
Powermatic owners don't have the need to show that they own a Powermatic, in the same Laguna owners need to. :D

NicGellie
6th June 2017, 10:33 PM
Powermatic owners don't have the need to show that they own a Powermatic, in the same Laguna owners need to. :D

Can I use 6mm blades for fine work and going around curves? How many tpi for such work?

Just George
6th June 2017, 10:37 PM
Can I use 6mm blades for fine work and going around curves? How many tpi for such work?

Yes, generally 6mm blades have 6tpi. The blade that comes with the saw will be ok, but buy a second/third blade, they will be better.

Just George
6th June 2017, 10:43 PM

Sorry, I didn't answer your question. Yes, the 6mm blade will allow you to do curves. The Alex Snodgrass video on YouTube shows what you want to know. He cuts some incredibly tight curves, VERY quickly.

NicGellie
6th June 2017, 10:45 PM
Thanks George. I am watching the video now. You have been a great help.

I will contact Carbatec in the morning and see if there are any special deals on the Powermatic.

Bucky
6th June 2017, 10:48 PM
I'm starting to lean towards the Laguna 14BX. Yes it's a bit more than I originally budgeted for and the cheaper alternatives would in all likelihood do what I want and more. I would probably be happy with one of them. Gregory's should have the full range in stock by the end of the week. I'll also do a trip to Carbatec and Hare&Forbes to check out what they have. Thanks everyone for your input I don't know if it has made my decision easier or harder.

Cheers

DomAU
6th June 2017, 11:06 PM
Just buy the one you think is best and do not base your decision on "value for money". As has been said many times in many posts the money will soon be forgotten and with larger machinery it's best to buy your last tool first.

NicGellie
6th June 2017, 11:08 PM
Just buy the one you think is best and do not base your decision on "value for money". As has been said many times in many posts the money will soon be forgotten and with larger machinery it's best to buy your last tool first.

I agree. That is why I am canvassing the best possible opinion on what might best work for me.

DomAU
7th June 2017, 04:38 AM
I have a Laguna LT18 3000 and am happy with it. I was initially looking at buying a 14" saw, but when I saw them in person they looked tiny. I much prefer the larger and more robust 18" saw and am glad I went that route.

It cuts very smooth veneers with the 1.25" Resaw King blade. I had some issues running a 3/4" 2 tpi bi-metal blade from Henry Bro's on it (lots of vibration and rough cut) but assume this was the blade as other blades I have tried have been fine.

Laguna now have an 18 BX model. Haven't seen or used one myself but may be an improvement over the LT18; time will tell.

Junkie
7th June 2017, 03:26 PM
Laguna now have an 18 BX model. Haven't seen or used one myself but may be an improvement over the LT18; time will tell.
Interestingly the 18 BX is a fair bit lighter and slightly more expensive than the LT 18 3000 (according to Gregory Machinery).
The Laguna website doesn't seem to have the LT 18 3000, only the Italian LT18 which is considerably more the 18 BX.

Bucky
9th June 2017, 08:15 PM
Finally bought a bandsaw after a lot of messing/driving around. Went to Gregorys, they had their demo Laguna 14BX from the Brisbane show that they would let me have for a reduced price plus extras. I agreed to buy, however, part of the fence was missing. They stated they would find it and call me the next day. Next day no phone call I sent an email, no reply. The next day I drove out to Gregorys, they couldn't find the part. They had to order another one in. Not impressed with the sales service that left me questioning what the technical service would be like.

Being out and about I drove to Carbatec to look at the JET 18 as I had considered buying the on advertised here. Lovely beast of a machine but too big for my shed. I ended up buying a Powermatic, loaded it up in the twin cab and brought it home.

Managed to unload it myself, came in 3 boxes. But still heavy for an old bloke like me. Next started assembling it. Took the top half off to lift it onto the stand, added the riser and started on the rest. Not an easy assembly unless you are double jointed with long thin arms. Lots of blue language Set everything up as per Alex Snodgrass's video.

Its been an interesting journey that ended with me buying a make I had never previously considered.

Cheers

NicGellie
9th June 2017, 10:56 PM
Well I was going to buy a Powermatic until Carbatec raised the price from $1650 to $1950 in one day.

Instead I am looking at the woodfast BS-350 at $1450. It has heavy duty cast wheels, and lots of good features. Steve at Woodfast was very helpful. And now I am looking at dust extraction units to go with it.

Bucky
10th June 2017, 08:34 AM
Well I was going to buy a Powermatic until Carbatec raised the price from $1650 to $1950 in one day.

Instead I am looking at the woodfast BS-350 at $1450. It has heavy duty cast wheels, and lots of good features. Steve at Woodfast was very helpful. And now I am looking at dust extraction units to go with it.

They were going to charge me $1950 until I pointed out that the price displayed on the demo unit. They also threw in 3 free blades.

NicGellie
10th June 2017, 08:35 AM
They were going to charge me $1950 until I pointed out that the price displayed on the demo unit. They also threw in 3 free blades.

You were lucky then.

Wigwood
13th June 2017, 10:50 PM
G'day Bucky, I have one, brilliant, but I think it's a bit under powered, go for the BX and the bigger motor.....then again I throw some pretty challenging timber at it cutting veneers from out Aussie hardwoods (and yes I use a resaw king blade), just gets a bit bogged down at times.....

NicGellie
14th June 2017, 06:43 PM
I ended up with this Taiwanese made Carbatec bandsaw loaned to me by a friend of mine for nothing.

It has been sitting in a shed doing nothing for the last five years. I have cleaned it up and it will be ready to go after a few adjustments.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170614/43971823a5dbd2a669856a21e4ab1842.jpg

Pariss
20th June 2017, 12:50 PM
Can't go wrong with either a Jet or Powermatic 14 inch bandsaw. I've had my Powermatic for 7 years now and done a massive amount of work on it and it is still deadly !. I put a 100mm riser block on it so I can re-saw wide boards etc.

Albert
20th June 2017, 01:33 PM
wait for a second machine if there is no business need for this.

I sold my SCM S400P half price of how much I bought it for brand new, 24 months ownership, single phase, made by Centauro. not a Ferrari of the Bandsaw but good enough.

the likes of Bandsaw, its better to have them heavier. its more rigid and stable.

Wazza90210
20th September 2017, 03:59 PM
I second second hand buying! I got my myself a Hafco BP420, 16inch for $500. 2hp motor, plenty of go. And I just recently easily modified the rack and pinion to increase my resaw by 2 inches! Will make a post when I figure out how this forum. works. Wazza