PDA

View Full Version : Metal laminate

meso
15th September 2006, 03:14 AM
I thinking of starting some new projects using metal laminates or incorperating in metal sheets.
I found a few place that sell metal laminates and they're all pretty expensive (Formica sell brushed aluminium sheets for about $100 for a 3000 by 300mm sheet and stainless is about 4 times that amount). I tried looking for suppliers of of sheet metal but can't really seem to find any.
The closes thing that i found at a reasonable price was metal signs. these signs are usully used for warning signs. Its printed on one side and the other us usually bare shiny metal.
Does anyone have any other sugestions for substitutes for metal laminates.

Mitch.

rodm
15th September 2006, 11:26 AM
One Steel or Medalia and look through yellow pages for more steel suppliers. If you want aluminum then Comalco or Smart and yellow pages. If you want sheets cut try a search on sheet metal workers.

meso
15th September 2006, 09:15 PM
cheers rod
i ended up finding some at stapco.
all they had there was .4mm sheets of zincalume. its not exactly what i wanted but it will do.

Mitch

bsrlee
15th September 2006, 09:49 PM
If you want stainless, take a look for metal recyclers and commercial kitchen fitters - these places will often have off cuts or 'seconds' ie scratched or dented, sheets. If you don't need really big sheets these may be the way to go.

Also, stainless is a PITA to cut if you don't have the right gear - the commonly available alloys seem to work harden like crazy & you will go thru jigsaw blades likewise - about 1 per foot (300mm) for generic metal blades. You really need a handheld power nibbler or shear - rent it if you are not going to be doing a lot - a good one costs as much a Festo Domino. If the shear is not adjusted quite right it will just bend the edge down & burr it up (been there etc)

soundman
16th September 2006, 11:04 PM
It depends on what you are actualy after.:confused:
Do you want metal or the look of metal.... what metal look do you want.

All the laminate makers have a variety of metal look laminates and some of them are:eek: :eek: :eek: expensive. much more expensive than actual metal.

alternatives
Capral and other aluminium people have thinn aluminium sheets with textures on them, tarditional "stuco" & "diamond" textures ( I have worked with these) and I have seen some checker plate look and lumps & bumps & brushed.
Thin aluminium sheet ( up to .8mm) laminated to plywood machines on a normal table saw witout much problem at all, just be carefull of the edges... they bite.

there are some metal look embosed plastics, mostly from car accessory places in fiddly little bits at high prices.

I have seen some metal look adhesive sheet.

Diabond is very funky... it is a metal plastic laminate, comes pre finished in a variety of colours.

various paint companies have metal look paint products.
the ressene matalic range is just mind blowing.

then there are crude metalic effects you can do yourself.

Believe me the metal look is very very in and there are lots of ways of doing it.

SO what are you looking for:D

cheers

Harry72
17th September 2006, 12:00 AM
Isnt there a metalaand in WA?

meso
17th September 2006, 10:02 PM
thanx evry1

i'll give this zincalume a go on a pokerset case and see how it looks.

if its no good ill have a better hunt around the place using your advise to get some aluminium sheets.

cheers
Mitch

Vasco
18th September 2006, 01:32 AM
Meso,
I know World Wide Timber Traders in Barrington St Bibra Lake? Could be Spearwood sell a metal laminate, don't know the price though.

Regards
Vasco

wfeng365
28th June 2007, 06:35 PM
Meso,

we are professional manufactuer of :high pressure laminate . metallic laminate is our one series.

compare with EU's metallic laminate, our quality is lower than them cause of using different technology .but our price it's also lower more.

if you interest in my goods. pls send mail to me: [email protected]

David

changzhou yaming wood industry co.,ltd

tel:00865198491222
fax:00865198496780
mobile:008613511670935
msn: [email protected]

echnidna
28th June 2007, 07:51 PM
I wonder what is the cost of posting 1 sheet of laminate

Just George
29th June 2007, 03:45 PM
I thinking of starting some new projects using metal laminates or incorperating in metal sheets.
I found a few place that sell metal laminates and they're all pretty expensive (Formica sell brushed aluminium sheets for about $100 for a 3000 by 300mm sheet and stainless is about 4 times that amount). I tried looking for suppliers of of sheet metal but can't really seem to find any.
The closes thing that i found at a reasonable price was metal signs. these signs are usully used for warning signs. Its printed on one side and the other us usually bare shiny metal.
Does anyone have any other sugestions for substitutes for metal laminates.

Mitch.

Mitch,
Go to a Cabinetmaker or Shopfitter, they may have some spare and could even cut it to the size you need. The place I used to work at used it all the time.

celeste
29th June 2007, 07:27 PM
Hi all

I have just discovered a new laminate called CREAstyle made by the hailfax group, they have a web site and some really cool metal laminates.

I have just had a bench top made $300 cheaper than laminex/formica.

Have a look on the web and then ring the hailfax group in Perth, they may sell you some wholesale as it is a new product in Perth.

Celeste

renomart
3rd July 2007, 11:05 PM
Metal laminates (e.g Laminex and the like) are usually quite thin, say 0.8mm.