PDA

View Full Version : ... like herding cats!

fletty
2nd December 2006, 09:09 PM
We all know what it's like. We woodwork for fun, not to be productive! Well, eventually even I had to admit that the fence around the first floor deck was rotted through and presented a safety problem. I decided that I could pervert my REAL woodwork for a weekend or 2 and replace the fence. Framed trellis panels was chosen, I went to the local treated pine place, bought trellis, top capping, framing and 90x40 for support. This morning I got paint, bolts etc ... and for the first time in months it rained.
No problem, cut the panels under cover, paint, assemble and carry to the deck.
Easy? No bl***y way!
I discovered that measuring and cutting trellis panels was like herding cats. I measured and cut to length .... it didn't fit horizontally!
I measured and cut again ... it didn't fit vertically!
Only then did I realise the morphing power of trellis. Cutting to length only works if you lock the other dimension. After a few tries I found that I needed to nail a cleat across the trellis to fix the vertical dimension and ONLY THEN cut the other dimension.
Does anyone want some extremely large trellis offcuts?
Fletty

joe greiner
2nd December 2006, 09:37 PM
Wiggly critters, aren't they. We get a false sense of security by the diagonals - assume they act as bracing. But they don't, unless we form a triangle, as you found.

If you have enough storage space (and we can always find storage space for wood, can't we? Hang 'em from the ceiling if necessary.), save some of it for shim stock or clamping cauls. Segmented turning also comes to mind.

Joe

soundman
2nd December 2006, 10:23 PM
plant it in the garden and grow beans up it.:D

Dr Jan Itor
3rd December 2006, 09:45 AM
Herding cats.... (http://www.easycall.net/fun/herding-cats.shtml)