PDA

View Full Version : Where do you stop staining drawers?

Alix
30th September 2003, 11:19 PM
Hi,

A beginners question: Where do you stop staining/polishing etc on a piece of furniture that has drawers?

Do you stain inside and/or outside of the drawers or only the front face piece?

Do you stain the inside of the cabinet case where it will not be seen except if the drawers are removed?

I have seen examples where the front drawer piece only has been stained apparently prior to fitting the rest of the drawer so the dovetails show stained on the front piece but not on the side pieces.

What is considered the norm?

Thanks,
Allan

q9
30th September 2003, 11:24 PM
Most stuff I've seen only goes half and inch to an inch from the front most surface. Doesn't give the game away when drawers not quite shut.

Shane Watson
1st October 2003, 07:27 AM
Its personal preference really. THeres for and againts for fully finishing drawers. Most finishers that don't fully finish drawers use the theory that the smells etc get through what ever is in the drawers particularly clothing. It is also dependant on what type of finish you are using.

sandman
1st October 2003, 01:14 PM
I sell bedroom furniture for a crust & I can assure you that it is a much classier finish to have drawers completley stained both inside & out. Consumers much prefer to see entire drawer stained. Also seals timber, reduces any movement & reduces any "sap bleed" from lining board drawer bottoms onto clothing as timber is sealed.
Looks like crap when you have a beautifully finished cabinet until you open the drawer only to see the unsightly appearance of raw unstained materials in the sides of drawers. For the little bit of extra time & stain/lacquers, just do it properly & you'll benefit long term.
Regards Sandman.;)

Shane Watson
1st October 2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by sandman
I sell bedroom furniture for a crust & I can assure you that it is a much classier finish to have drawers completley stained both inside & out. Consumers much prefer to see entire drawer stained. Also seals timber, reduces any movement & reduces any "sap bleed" from lining board drawer bottoms onto clothing as timber is sealed.
Looks like crap when you have a beautifully finished cabinet until you open the drawer only to see the unsightly appearance of raw unstained materials in the sides of drawers. For the little bit of extra time & stain/lacquers, just do it properly & you'll benefit long term.
Regards Sandman.;)

I could quite easily argue this. Having given the option to thousands of clients most declined to having the internals of the drawers stained & polished and of those remaining most opted for a flock finish.......

Another angle is to compare to antiques. How many do you see with the internals of a drawer stained?