PDA

View Full Version : Skew or fishtail

monoman
19th May 2009, 04:23 PM
Hiya,

I need a chisel(s) for cleaning out the corners in half-blind dovetail sockets and would like some opinions on which works best - skew or fishtail. Fishtail would be simpler because I wouldn't need a left and a right.

Cheers

Wongo
19th May 2009, 04:42 PM
I don't care what you think, I am getting one of these at the Sydney show. Aren't they pretty? :U:U

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/images/Fishtailstill.jpg

funkychicken
19th May 2009, 07:40 PM
Skews are nicer because then you have a set:D They can also be used in spots where a skewed slicing action is needed instead of a straight slice.
I can make you a set if you want, I've got one in the works.
I can make a fishtail as well:wink:

Heavansabove
19th May 2009, 09:52 PM
You can make skewed chisels from worn out saw files, left and right. No cost except for a bit of electricity for the grinder.

Cheers
Peter

two fingers
24th May 2009, 06:49 PM
Go the fishtail. It's a much more versatile tool. You can buy two skew chisels if you want as has been suggested but I think that is not the best answer. A fishtail carving chisel will allow you to flip it to work either way and because it's utilizes the fishtail shape it is overall more versatile and can get into tighter situations... You just have to learn how to work with a carving chisel that has a rounded bevel on the "top" and "bottom". If you're not a carver you can have a much more rigid and flatter bevel if you like...

Claw Hama
24th May 2009, 06:55 PM
I bought a nice old chisel and ground my own skew end on it $8, was and is again a very nice chisel.

Funky I'd like a new compass plane can you make me one??:U Glad to see you have a go at anything and everything, go Funky!!

Must say that fish tail looks good what brad is that one wongo?

funkychicken
24th May 2009, 08:45 PM
Funky I'd like a new compass plane can you make me one??:U Glad to see you have a go at anything and everything, go Funky!!

Maybe, would you be willing to pay top dollar?

Wongo
24th May 2009, 11:48 PM
Must say that fish tail looks good what brad is that one wongo?

Names Nielsen, Lie-Nielsen. :U

Al the hobbiest
25th May 2009, 10:06 PM
I find myself agreeing with two fingers and saying fishtail. The advantage that I see with the fishtail chisels is that you can work in a vertical plane, where as the skew chisels require working on an angle for most functions. This is just my personal preference. The other advantage is that you only need one fishtail chisel to do the same job as two skews.
Cheers,
Al

derekcohen
26th May 2009, 08:02 AM
If you are making a choice between skews and a fishtail, I'd go with the skews. Both will get into the angled corners of half-blind pins, but the skews can be more successfully used with a greater slicing action to get out the difficult end grain section. The long grain section is rarely a challenge.

Making a skew chisel is quite easy. Go to the LN website for dimensions, sizes and angles.

I have skews and fishtails from Blue Spruce, but have also made my own ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/Skewchiselsplus.jpg

And a close up of 3/8" skews I made..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/Skewchisels.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Wongo
19th October 2009, 11:33 PM
I am currently making a few drawers with a Red Gum drawer front. So tonight I finally had a chance to try the fishtail chisel I brought from the Sydney show back in June.

Sure it is a good looking chisel but the bloody thing wasn't sharp. It wouldn't cut anything. It was bloody annoying and I had to go back to my humble Stanley chisels.

I have other LN chisels and the were scarily sharp right out of the box. Never did I have to sharpen them first.

I am not happy. :~

artme
19th October 2009, 11:59 PM
I am currently making a few drawers with a Red Gum drawer front. So tonight I finally had a chance to try the fishtail chisel I brought from the Sydney show back in June.

Sure it is a good looking chisel but the bloody thing wasn't sharp. It wouldn't cut anything. It was bloody annoying and I had to go back to my humble Stanley chisels.

I have other LN chisels and the were scarily sharp right out of the box. Never did I have to sharpen them first.

I am not happy. :~

Bummer!:~ Life just aint fair>:D:D:q

derekcohen
20th October 2009, 12:34 AM
It wouldn't cut anything. It was bloody annoying and I had to go back to my humble Stanley chisels.

Why did you not just sharpen it?

Was it a LN?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Claw Hama
20th October 2009, 07:53 AM
As Derek said:?

Woodwould
20th October 2009, 08:17 AM
I don't care what a company's reputation for out-of-the-box-preparedness is, I would always sharpen/hone an edge tool to my satisfaction before use.

I hope the ashtrays in your car aren't full or it could be an expensive week!

BTW, I advocate a pair of skews.